Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe lacrosse (copy)

Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe is entering her 13th year as the head coach of the JMU lacrosse team.

Police records revealed Monday that JMU lacrosse head coach Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe was cited early Saturday morning at 2:48 a.m. for “public swearing or intoxication.” Klaes-Bawcombe released a statement to JMU Athletics on Monday afternoon, discussing the incident.

"I have communicated the issues concerning my actions this weekend and have extended my sincere regrets to Jeff Bourne, Charlie King and President Alger,” Klaes-Bawcombe said. “I further would like to apologize to our student-athletes and everyone associated with the JMU lacrosse program. Even though I was celebrating a National Championship with friends, it is my responsibility to set the tone for our program, and I fell short of that responsibility with my behavior.”

The citation occurred a day before the Dukes celebrated their 2018 NCAA National Championship. Along with receiving their championship rings, the senior class presented Klaes-Bawcombe with a No. 18 jersey to commemorate the season. JMU Director of Athletics Jeff Bourne released the following statement:

“We are aware of an incident this weekend involving lacrosse Head Coach Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe,” Bourne said. “I’ve spoken with Shelley and we are addressing the issue. As with any personnel situation, we will not have any further public comment other than to say that any individual, employee or student-athlete, who represents the university and JMU Athletics will be held accountable to our standards of conduct.”

Klaes-Bawcombe recently signed a four-year contract extension, tying her to the Dukes through the 2022 season. She’s set to begin her 18th season as a coach and her 13th with JMU in the spring.

Contact Blake Pace & Catie Harper at breezesports@gmail.com. For more lacrosse coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.