Marquis Woodyard

JMU redshirt senior cornerback Marquis Woodyard goes in for a tackle on Liberty senior tight end Dexter Herman. Liberty scored with 2:53 to play to beat JMU 26-21 in the first round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs on Saturday. 

It was confirmed Thursday that JMU football will face off against Liberty on Oct. 31, 2026 and will be the first matchup for the Dukes against the Flames since the 2014 FCS playoffs.

First reported by A Sea of Red (ASOR), the game will be the 18th matchup for the two teams, and JMU holds a 12-6 all-time lead against the Flames. This will be the first matchup for the Dukes facing Liberty as an FBS school.

The Dukes fell to the Flames in their last matchup 26-21, after Liberty came back from a 21-7 deficit at the half against former JMU quarterback Vad Lee and former JMU head coach Everett Withers.

JMU will play in Williams Stadium in Lynchburg, Virginia, and JMU assistant athletic director Kevin Warner said the Dukes will earn $400,00 for the trip.

This is JMU’s second scheduled Virginia opponent for the upcoming years, with Virginia Tech scheduled for 2025. JMU also has FBS games scheduled with North Carolina in 2020 and 2024  and Louisville in 2022.

Contact The Breeze sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.