Cignetti Jersey

JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne presents Curt Cignetti with his jersey, welcoming him as the new head coach.

Rome (Ga.) quarterback Knox Kadum announced Sunday night that he’s committed to James Madison football, via Twitter. When he signs on Feb. 6, he’ll become the first high school quarterback the Dukes have signed since redshirt sophomore Gage Moloney in 2017.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound quarterback is a three-star recruit according to Rivals.com and had 15 scholarship offers before signing with the Dukes. Among the teams that lost out on Kadum are Florida Atlantic and Charlotte, as well as Power-Five program Rutgers.

In an article written by Greg Madia of the Daily News-Record, Kadum was high on JMU’s radar as soon as former Charlotte offensive coordinator and current JMU offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery was brought in by new head coach Curt Cignetti. The two spoke the day Montgomery was hired, and JMU was in hot pursuit.

“Not long after coach Cignetti was calling with heavy interest,” Kadum told the DN-R. “Then two weeks ago they invited me for my official visit this weekend.”

Kadum was a four-year starter in high school and amassed 7,400 passing yards and 2,414 yards to go along with 118 touchdowns. Most recently, he went for 1,633 yards passing, 619 yards rushing and 32 touchdowns as a senior. He’s also a two-time state champion, winning with the Rome (Ga.) Wolves in 2016 and 2017.

“I believe my leadership and my ability to extend plays to beat a defense in the air or with my legs are my strong points,” Kadum said.

Kadum will join three quarterbacks at JMU: 2018 starter and redshirt senior Ben DiNucci, redshirt junior Cole Johnson and Moloney. In what’s expected to be an open competition for the 2019 starting job this offseason, Kadum projects to be in the mix as a starter a couple years down the road.

The Georgia native is the second athlete from the Peach State to join the JMU class of 2019, joining Mount Vernon running back Austin Douglas — who signed in late December.

Contact Blake Pace at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.