10 Caroline Cahill 01.jpg

JMU field hockey (7-9, 2-2 CAA) scored four goals on 18 shots in a 4-1 victory over Saint Francis (PA) on Senior Day. All seven seniors started in Sunday’s victory — their final game. The class helped the program win 52 games during its time at JMU.

“They’re amazing,” JMU head coach Christy Morgan said. “They’re a great group of individuals … I’m pleased to have had them here for four, some for five [years], but [they’re] amazing people who really influenced the culture of this program.” 

Freshman forward Eveline Zwager scored in the 19th minute to make it 1-0. Senior defender Taylin Lehman scored Saint Francis’ lone goal in the 29th minute to tie the game at one.

JMU retook the lead as time expired in the first half when redshirt freshman midfielder Caroline Cahill scored her first goal of the afternoon. The Dukes outshot the Red Flash 9-1 and had a 7-2 advantage in corners as they led 2-1 going into halftime.

Eight minutes into the second half, redshirt senior forward/midfielder Miranda Rigg scored her final goal at the JMU Field Hockey Complex to make it 3-1. She recorded her 100th career point with her seventh goal of the season.

“It’s great — I couldn’t have done it without the team,” Rigg said. “You know, 100 career points, not a lot of people get there, but records aren’t everything, and I’m just happy to be here.”

The Dukes added another goal to their lead in the 53rd minute when Cahill scored off a corner to expand the advantage to 4-1. She recorded her first multi-goal game of her career against Saint Francis.

“I just think we worked really hard as a team to get corners,” Cahill said. “Those backhand corner shots were just something that I worked a lot on in practice and pre-game, and, this far into the season, being able to put them away just felt really good.”

JMU outshot Saint Francis (4-13) 18-5 and had a 16-5 corner advantage during the game. Senior forward/midfielder Cassie Hunter led the team with three assists, and Rigg had a team-high seven shots.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Kyler Zampiello started in goal for JMU, earning the victory. She allowed one goal in the first half, and redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Kylie LeBlanc replaced her in the second half, saving three shots in relief.

JMU snapped its two-game losing streak, finishing its home schedule with a 5-4 record. JMU will finish the season with road matchups against Towson and Delaware as it attempts to clinch a spot in the CAA Tournament. The game against conference-rival Towson is scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m.

“I just think we have to focus on playing as a team,” Cahill said. “I don’t think we can think too much into ‘Oh, my gosh, we have to win’ but rather just think we’ve worked all season on this. We know we have the skill, we know we can work as a team and accomplish what we want to.”

Contact Jason Clampitt at clampijt@dukes.jmu.edu. For more field hockey coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.