jmu field hockey (copy)

JMU field hockey currently sits at 2-4 on the 2019 season.

JMU field hockey fell 4-0 to No. 4 Maryland on Sunday to extend its losing streak to two games. The Dukes allowed five shots on goal in the first five minutes — including a penalty stroke in the first minute of the game — proceeded to be outshot 25-11 in the loss.

After sophomore defender Riley Donnelly got Maryland on the board in the opening frame, the Terrapins added two more shots in the first 12 minutes JMU failed to capitalize on a penalty corner after allowing a goal in the opening frame of the game.

Later in the first half, senior midfielder Madison Maguire added to Maryland’s lead to make it 2-0. Maryland outshot JMU 11-3 and didn’t allow a shot on goal until the second half. Redshirt senior forward/midfielder Miranda Rigg got JMU’s first shot on goal in the 37th minute.

In the second half, junior defender Bodil Keus scored off a corner to make it 3-0. Three minutes later, Donnelly scored her second goal of the game on a penalty stroke to finish the scoring at four.

Senior goalkeeper Noelle Frost got the start in net for Maryland. She earned the victory, saving four shots in 48 minutes. Sophomore goalkeeper Skye Joegriner saved one shot in relief of Frost. Junior goalkeeper Caitlin Nelson suffered the loss; she allowed four goals and saved 13 shots — tying her career-high. 

With the loss, JMU falls to 2-4 on the season. The Dukes will look to snap their losing streak when they host Old Dominion on Sunday at noon. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more field hockey coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.