16 Ongeziwe Mali 01.jpg

No. 4 JMU field hockey (8-11, 3-4 CAA) fell to No. 1 Delaware in the semifinals of the CAA Tournament 5-3 on Friday. The Dukes rallied in the second half, scoring two goals to cut the deficit to 3-2, but they ultimately fell.

Junior forward Lotte de Koning led Delaware’s offense by scoring four goals in the victory. Her first goal came in the sixth minute to make it 1-0.

She found the back of the net in the 16th and 19th minutes to give the Blue Hens a 3-0 advantage. Despite both teams recording two corners in the first half, Delaware outshot JMU 6-3 as the Dukes trailed 3-0 heading into halftime.

JMU got on the board in the first four minutes of the second half when redshirt freshman midfielder Caroline Cahill cut the lead to 3-1. Junior midfielder Rachel Yeager made it 3-2 in the 41st minute.

Delaware (15-3, 7-0 CAA) got two goals in two minutes to get the lead back to a three-goal advantage in the 51st and 53rd minutes. Seconds after the goal, redshirt senior defender Megan Guzzardi scored the final goal of the game to make it 5-3.

After two goals in the 53rd minute, JMU’s comeback was cut short as time expired and it fell to Delaware. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sydney Rhodes started in net for the Blue Hens. She allowed three goals and saved three shots. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Kyler Zampiello suffered the loss. She allowed five goals and saved five shots.

With the victory, Delaware moves on to the championship where it’ll play the winner of No. 2 William & Mary and No. 3 Northeastern on Sunday. JMU finished the season 8-11 and improved its win total from the previous season. Despite losing seven seniors, most of the Dukes’ core will return in 2020.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more field hockey coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.