jmuvsodu13

Following its 3-1 victory over No. 22 Old Dominion, JMU field hockey traveled to Charlottesville, Virginia, to play No. 5 U.Va. The Dukes fell to the Hoos 2-0.

The Dukes and the Cavaliers played an even game in the first quarter as JMU outshot U.Va. 4-3, but the game remained scoreless. In the second quarter, freshman midfielder Adele Iacobucci scored the first goal of the game for U.Va. Heading into halftime leading by one, Virginia held the Dukes to zero shots in the second stanza. U.Va outshot JMU 2-1 in the third, and in the fourth, the Hoos added a second goal by senior back Anzel Viljoen to secure the win.

JMU was outshot 11-6 in the matchup, with redshirt sophomore goalie Kylie LeBlanc having four saves. Offensively for the Dukes, sophomore forward Ongeziwe Mali had a team-high two shots on goal. The Dukes also only took one penalty corner on the night, compared to five by U.Va.

For Virginia, Iacobucci had five shots on the night for a team-high. Senior midfielder Erin Shanahan and Viljoen also had three shots. Redshirt sophomore goalie Lauren Hausheer had six saves for the Hoos, and sophomore midfielder Peyton Tollaksen had the only card of the game at the 53:06 mark.

With this loss, JMU falls to 3-5 on the season. Up next for the Dukes is No. 1 UNC. The Dukes and Tarheels will square off at noon on Sunday in Harrisonburg.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more field hockey coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.