jmuvsodu8

JMU field hockey (6-8, 2-1 CAA) was shut out in the 2-0 loss to No. 4 Duke on Sunday afternoon. It’s the fourth time this season the Dukes have been blanked against a top-five team. Duke’s two goals in the first period were enough to secure the victory.

Sophomore midfielder/forward Leah Crouse got the scoring started in the opening minute of the game to make it 1-0. The Blue Devils added to their lead in the 7th minute when sophomore midfielder Noor van de Laar scored off the rebound to make it 2-0. 

After the second goal of the game, the Blue Devils didn’t record a shot until the fourth quarter. The Dukes’ scoring chances began when sophomore forward Ongeziwe Mali recorded the first shot in the 20th minute.  

“When we followed the game plan, we were effective,” JMU head coach Christy Morgan said. When we did whatever we wanted to do, we were horrible. The first quarter, we were horrible. After that, we were awesome.”

Duke outshot JMU 3-2 and had a 2-1 advantage in corners during the first half, taking a 2-0 advantage into the half. Both teams limited the number of scoring chances in the third quarter, as both teams didn’t record a shot.

“I think after halftime, we really came together and really talked about what we needed to work on [and] what we needed to do in the second half that would make us more effective,” junior midfielder Rachel Yeager said. “I think we really came out with that fire. We really came out with that improvement from the first half, and we really changed what needed to be changed in the second half.”   

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sammi Steele started in goal for the Blue Devils. She saved two shots in the victory. Redshirt senior Kyler Zampiello got the start in net for the Dukes, allowing two goals and saved two shots. 

With the loss, the Dukes’ three-game win streak ended, and they look to get back in the win column Friday at 6 p.m. when they host Northeastern.   

“Just go back and try to play our team style this week, get connected again and get excited for some more CAA play,” redshirt senior forward/midfielder Miranda Rigg said. 

Contact Jason Clampitt at clampijt@dukes.jmu.edu. For more field hockey coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.