DSC_0023.jpg (copy)

JMU field hockey will be the No. 4 seed in the upcoming CAA Tournament.

JMU field hockey (8-10, 3-3 CAA) fell 1-0 to No. 12 Delaware on Sunday as it gave up the go-ahead goal in the seventh minute of the game. Despite the loss, the Dukes clinched the No. 4 seed in the CAA Tournament.

Junior midfielder Femke Strien scored the lone goal of the game in the first 10 minutes of play to make it 1-0. The Blue Hens started the first 15 minutes recording four shots and four corners.

JMU didn’t get a shot on goal in the first half. The Blue Hens outshot the Dukes 4-0 and had a 4-0 advantage in corners before redshirt senior forward/midfielder Miranda Rigg got JMU’s first shot in the 38th minute.

Delaware outshot JMU 8-3 and had a 5-3 advantage in corners and only gave up two shots on goal in the victory. Rigg, redshirt freshman midfielder Caroline Cahill and junior midfielder Rachel Yeager were all tied with one shot.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper started Kyler Zampiello started in goal. She allowed one goal and saved six shots. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sydney Rhodes saved two shots in the victory.

With the loss, JMU finishes its regular season with a 3-5 road record and a 5-4 home record. The Dukes will enter the CAA Tournament as the No. 4 seed, setting up a rematch with the Blue Hens in the first round. The CAA Tournament takes place Nov. 8-10 in Newark, Delaware.  

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more field hockey coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.