Matt Lewis

Matt Lewis led the Dukes with 15 points in their loss to Towson.

All season long, JMU men’s basketball has struggled to put together a complete game. Towson, despite being last in the CAA in shooting percentage, shot the lights out of the ball in the Tigers’ 66-59 victory over the Dukes.

After starting the game 4-for-4 from 3-point land, the Dukes (10-15, 3-9 CAA) went 2-for-18 in the remaining part of the contest. As their shooting faltered, Towson’s junior guard Brian Fobbs started to heat up, finishing the game with 29 points from 15 shots.

“Everybody has ‘a guy,’” head coach Louis Rowe said. “On the road, you can’t let that guy get going like that. He got going and got to his spots on the floor. Once he gets going, he’s going to make an open three.”

Towson is first in the CAA in rebounding margin, averaging 5.7 more rebounds than their opponents. JMU outrebounded the Tigers 39-31, but couldn’t find a way to turn rebounds into points.

Redshirt senior guard Stuckey Mosley had 11 points in the first five minutes, helping JMU establish a 22-13 lead midway through the first half. Despite trailing for the majority of the first half, the Tigers remained in striking distance and never lost a grip on the game.

“They played harder than us,” sophomore guard Darius Banks said. “I think they just wanted it more.”

JMU closed out the first half scoring just eight points in 12 minutes, but managed to hold a 30-26 lead at the break. The hot-shooting from Mosley cooled down, but the Orlando, Florida, native finished the half with 14 points.

Both teams traded 7-0 runs to start the second half, and for the first few minutes, neither side could get a firm grip on the game. Once Fobbs got going, the momentum swung in favor of the Tigers.

As a team, the Tigers shot 50 percent from downtown. Even if the Dukes had a hand in the face of a shooter, shots kept falling for Towson. Combined with an offense that struggled to get clear looks at the basket, the game slipped away from JMU in a matter of minutes.

“Our defense was excellent today,” Towson head coach Pat Skerry said. “We only had one turnover in the second half. We didn’t rebound it like we normally do, but we’ll take care of that on Monday.”

Sophomore guard Matt Lewis was the only player who scored in double figures in the second half with 10 points. He’d finish the game as JMU’s highest scorer with 15 points. Mosley, despite the hot start, had zero points in the second half.

“I know I have to score for this team,” Mosley said. “If my shots aren’t falling, I’ve got to keep playing my game.”

Only six games remain in JMU’s regular season and time is starting to run out if the Dukes want to get out of last place in the conference. They have a huge weekend ahead of them as they host Drexel on Thursday and Delaware on Saturday.

Contact Noah Ziegler at zieglenh@dukes.jmu.edu. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.