042218_Cockburn_WLAX (4 of 8).jpg

Coach Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe gives a thumbs-up after a successful first half

JMU Director of Athletics Jeff Bourne announced Friday that JMU lacrosse head coach Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe has signed a four-year contract extension to keep her with the program through the 2022 season.

“We are proud of everything that Shelley has accomplished as head lacrosse coach at James Madison and glad that we could reward her for her accomplishments with this extension,” Bourne told JMU Athletics. “Shelley is passionate about JMU, her student-athletes and the sport of lacrosse … I look forward to more great things to come from the lacrosse program under her leadership.”

This extension comes after a historic year for the Dukes, having gone 22-1 and winning the team’s first national championship. JMU also won the the CAA title for the second year in a row and earned NCAA wins over Virginia, No. 6 Florida, No. 4 Boston College and No. 2 North Carolina.

“I appreciate the opportunity to continue to grow and work with JMU lacrosse,” Klaes-Bawcombe told JMU Athletics. “This has always been a special place for me, and I’m honored to continue as James Madison’s head coach. I stand committed to the JMU community and am determined to keep JMU on the lacrosse map nationally. I’ll do what it takes to make JMU a household name in the lacrosse world.”

Klaes-Bawcombe guided several record-breaking feats last year as head coach, setting the bar in scoring (362), assists (156), points (518), free-position goals (73) and draw controls (330). They also had four 40-goal scorers in Kristen Gaudian (80), Elena Romesburg (66), Hanna Haven (47) and Haley Warden (46).

Following the season, Klaes-Bawcombe was named IWLCA Division I National Coach of the Year and ILWomen Division I Coach of the Year, while also being awarded CAA Coach of the Year for the third consecutive season. She is the team’s winningest coach with a 151-75 record, and has 201 career wins as a Division-I head coach.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more lacrosse coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.