Odicci Alexander (copy)

Junior pitcher Odicci Alexander came in for relief of pitcher Megan Good in the Dukes loss to Kentucky.

JMU softball wrapped up the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational with a 6-1 loss to No. 18 Kentucky on Sunday. The Dukes finished 3-2 in their opening weekend with wins over No. 19 Oregon and No. 6 Tennessee.

The Dukes took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second when sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File scored on a passed ball. It remained 1-0 until the top of the fifth, where a Wildcat triple brought in three runs, making it 3-1 Kentucky.

Head coach Loren LaPorte made a pitching change in the fifth inning, replacing redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good with junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander. Alexander stayed in the game until the top of the seventh, where she gave up two home runs, making it 6-1 Wildcats. Sophomore pitcher Payton Buresch finished the game for the Dukes without allowing a run.

Kentucky’s junior pitcher Autumn Humes gave up three hits, stifling JMU’s hot bats heading into the game. Only File and junior utility Natalie Cutright got hits for the Dukes.

JMU will participate in the Pirate Invitational in Greeneville, North Carolina, next weekend. The Dukes’ first opponent is Seton Hall and first pitch is at 10 a.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.