JMU baseball

JMU baseball returns home Tuesday to face off against George Mason.

JMU baseball lost Friday 5-0 and both games Saturday to the Louisville Cardinals, 11-1 and 1-0. It was the first series the Dukes have played on the road this year — and the first time they were swept.

The Dukes faced Louisville’s sophomore pitcher Reid Detmers in game one, as he struck out the side to open the series for the Cardinals. In response, JMU junior pitcher Kevin Kelly also retired the side, closing out the first inning with a strikeout of his own. However, from the second inning on, the lead stayed with Louisville.

Although Kelly finished the day with three strikeouts and only six hits allowed, JMU couldn’t find an answer against Detmers, the reigning ACC Pitcher of the Week, as the bats remained silent. He finished the day with an impressive 14 strikeouts and allowed only one hit in the game to JMU freshman infielder Kyle Novak. Detmers left the game in the eighth inning with the Cardinals holding a 5-0 lead.

Saturday, the Dukes and Cardinals began their doubleheader. Louisville continued dominating JMU in game one with stellar pitching from Louisville junior pitcher Nick Bennett as JMU sophomore pitcher Nick Stewart was challenged at the mound throughout the afternoon.

The Cardinals also had seven stolen bases in Saturday’s first game in the first five innings. Louisville dominated in the fifth inning when it took an 8-0 lead off an RBI double into right field by sophomore pinch hitter Cameron Masterman and a two-RBI single by junior center fielder Drew Campbell.

JMU rookie freshman infielder Trevon Dabney sparked some life late in the game for the Dukes as the Pennsylvania product blasted his first career home-run into left field in the top of the seventh inning. The hit gave the Dukes their first points of the series, but it wasn’t enough. The Cardinals won 11-1.

JMU senior pitcher Joe Williams took the mound for the Dukes in the final game of the series. Louisville senior pitcher Bryan Hoeing was called up for the Cardinals as fans at “The Nest” were treated to a low-scoring pitching duel between the two seniors.

By the sixth inning, Williams had four strikeouts while Hoeing threw nine for the Cardinals. However, an RBI sacrifice fly by Fitzgerald into left field gave the Cardinals a 1-0 lead. Neither team scored after that and JMU fell to Louisville’s pitching, 1-0.

JMU showed flashes of dominant pitching but couldn’t find a rhythm on offense. The Dukes now stand at 7-4 in the season. Their next game will be at home Tuesday at 4 p.m. as JMU hosts George Mason at Eagle Field in Veterans Memorial Park.   

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.