JMU Baseball (copy)

JMU baseball got back in the win column after being swept by No. 8 Louisville over the weekend.

JMU baseball hopped back on the winning track with a 10-7 victory over George Mason on Tuesday. The Dukes started the season 7-1 but were swept by No. 8 Louisville on Friday and Saturday.

Head coach Marlin Ikenberry’s team jumped out to an early lead thanks to four second-inning runs. Freshman infielder/pitcher Nick Zona singled to bring in junior first baseman/catcher Harry Brown and scored later in the inning after freshman infielder Kyle Novak hit a ground ball.

The Patriots responded with the next seven runs — three in the third inning, one in the fourth and fifth innings and a pair in the sixth. JMU added two runs of its own in the sixth and poured on three in the seventh before junior catcher Kyle Hayes scored on a wild pitch in the eighth inning to add insurance.

Redshirt sophomore pitcher Nick Robertson recorded his third save of the season while senior pitcher Matt Marsili picked up the win. The Dukes registered 14 hits and were error-free while George Mason managed just eight hits with two errors.

JMU resumes action Friday in the first game of a weekend series against High Point (4-6).

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.