Josh Jones

Freshman infielder Josh Jones waits for the pitch in JMU's game against VMI on April 4.

JMU baseball looked to even its weekend series against Delaware on Saturday after falling 5-1 against it in Friday’s series opener. However, the Dukes fell short after battling from behind all afternoon to try and match the Blue Hens.

Delaware had a quick start to its day, scoring four runs in the first two innings. Leaving a big gap for the Dukes to work with JMU slowly started chipping away at the Blue Hens’ lead. An RBI single from senior outfielder Adam Sisk put the Dukes on the board.

After Delaware increased the lead to 5-1 in the bottom of the third, the Dukes continued to battle. In the top of the fourth, the Dukes rallied as freshman catcher/utility Michael Morgan was walked and senior outfielder Ryan Coale tripled to bring him home. Coale was then brought home by senior infielder Bradley McKay, and freshman infielder Hunter Johnson hit a home run to make it a 5-4 game.

Both teams went scoreless through the next three innings. In the top of the seventh, Coale was hit by a pitch to bring Sisk home and tie the game at five. The Dukes got their first lead of the day when Johnson was hit by a pitch scoring Tondi. The Blue Hens matched the Dukes in the bottom of the seventh with one run, tying it back up at six.

In the bottom of the eighth, redshirt junior outfielder Kevin Mohollen scored from third off an error by the Dukes. JMU couldn’t match Delaware in the top of the ninth, falling in a tightly fought battle to the Blue Hens 7-6. The Dukes will be back in action on Sunday as they finish the series out against Delaware at 1 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.