CelebrateBaseball.jpg

JMU players celebrate after their 16-2 victory in the second game against Rider University. 

JMU baseball announced the signing of 11 new players following the NCAA National Letter of Intent Day in November on Tuesday. This adjustment will expand the roster to 40 players during the 2021-22 season.

The new signing class all originate from either Virginia, West Virginia or Maryland and have competed in both travel and high school, performing in highly competitive events. The newest Dukes have also received many accolades, including state titles, all-conference and all-state nominations. 

The Dukes will receive five pitchers, two infielders, one outfielder, a catcher and three multi-position players. Two of the multi-position athletes are also pitchers, and the remaining is a catcher and utility player. The new teammates will help fill the gaps following the 2019 and 2020 classes leaving the roster this spring. 

One incoming freshman, outfielder Bryce Suters, is a local athlete from Broadway High School just a few miles from JMU’s campus. The team will also welcome twins onto its roster, Evan and Casey Smith. The two are both multi-position players in pitching and on the field.

Pitcher Ryan Cook enters the roster as a JMU baseball legacy, with his father and mother alumni of JMU baseball and lacrosse, respectively. The future pitcher is one of five pitchers entering the roster as a first and second all-district nominee in basketball and baseball. Another pitcher, Tyler Muscar, also joins the roster as a legacy, as his mother is an alumna.

“We are very excited about this class," said Ikenberry to JMU Athletics. "These future Dukes are not only great baseball players, but men of character and integrity that we want in this program. They all possess a relentless work ethic to be the best at everything they do."

JMU hasn’t announced its schedule for the upcoming season, but the announcement of a new signing class brings excitement to the Dukes’ continued development. 

Contact the Sports Desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow The Breeze Sports on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.