Dan Goggin

Senior Dan Goggin was one of the four Dukes selected in the MLB Draft.

Four JMU baseball players made their first stop on the road to ‘The Show’ when they were selected in the 2019 MLB draft. It was the most JMU players taken in the draft since 2003.

Redshirt sophomore right-handed relief pitcher Nick Robertson was the first Duke drafted when the Los Angeles Dodgers took him in the seventh round at 221st overall. He’s coming off a stellar redshirt sophomore season, during which he had a 1.01 ERA and a 0.77 WHIP in 23 appearances. He led JMU with eight saves and was second for the Dukes in wins and appearances. Robertson is JMU’s highest player drafted since catcher Jake Lowery was drafted in the fourth round at 128th overall by the Cleveland Indians in 2011.

The next Duke selected was redshirt junior right-handed relief pitcher Shelton Perkins. He was taken in the 16th round by the Baltimore Orioles. This year he had a 2.96 ERA and a .95 WHIP in 45.2 innings. In 22 appearances, Perkins held opposing batters to a .169 batting average, which was third-best on the JMU pitching staff.

The New York Mets selected senior right-handed relief pitcher Dan Goggin in the 17th round. Goggin struck out 27 batters in 24.2 innings this year and worked to a 6.20 ERA. Despite the inflated ERA, he had excellent control, walking just seven out of 116 batters faced.

Also in the 17th round, junior right-handed starting pitcher Kevin Kelly was drafted by the Cleveland Indians. Kelly had a 3.26 ERA and 1.11 WHIP in a team-high 88.1 innings while striking out 94 batters. He also did a good job keeping the ball in the park, giving up only seven home runs in his 15 starts.

The quartet has until August 15 to sign with their respective teams, with Goggin, who graduated, being the only one not eligible to return to JMU if he chooses not to sign.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.