Tre Dabney

JMU freshman infielder Trevon Dabney prepares to swing in a game earlier this season.

JMU baseball (14-6) fell 12-3 to California State Fullerton (8-9) on Sunday afternoon. The Dukes won the series with wins over the Titans on Friday and Saturday night but fell one game shy of completing the sweep on the road.

Senior pitcher Joe Williams took the mound for the Dukes but struggled early as the Titans’ offense attacked JMU fast and endlessly. Williams only pitched 3.2 innings, allowing seven hits and five runs during his time on the mound. The Dukes’ bullpen was also depleted, playing an additional five pitchers prior to the game’s conclusion.

Cal State Fullerton exploded in the bottom of the seventh inning, scoring six runs to grab an 11-0 lead. Senior outfielder Mitchell Berryhill was the first to score in the inning, hitting an RBI single that scored senior infielder Jacob Pavletich. Pavletich drove in the last run of the inning with an RBI single of his own, bringing home junior infielder Sahid Valenzuela.

The Dukes scored their first and only runs in the top of the eighth with two RBIs off a double by junior catcher Harry Brown and a groundout from junior infielder Fox Semones. Despite the effort, by then the lead was too much to overcome. One more run in the bottom of the eighth made the score 12-3, and it stayed that way until the final out.

JMU stands at 14-6 on the season and will play its next game Tuesday at home against Fairfield at 4 p.m.

Contact Jordan Simal at simaljg@dukes.jmu.edu. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.