Nick Stewart

Freshman pitcher Nick Stewart throws out a pitch in JMU's game against Elon on March 25. The Dukes are currently 15-15 on the season and 2-7 in the CAA.

JMU baseball played a doubleheader against the College of Charleston on Sunday to make up for Saturday’s cancellation. The Dukes looked to improve their record in the CAA while facing the No. 1 team in the conference, but fell short in both games losing the first 2-1 and the second by the score of 3-2.  

Game one went four scoreless innings before a bunt by JMU sophomore infielder/pitcher Fox Semones brought in sophomore outfielder Davonn Griffin to score a run. The Cougars tied it up in the bottom of the sixth with a sacrifice fly to center field, forcing the game to go into extra innings. The Cougars won with a walk-off single hit by catcher Danny Wondrack in the bottom of the eighth.

The Dukes and Cougars went scoreless through two innings in game two. Much like game one, the Dukes got on the board first as Semones hit a RBI single to score Griffin from second. In the bottom of the third College of Charleston hit a solo homerun to tie the game at one. Both teams remained scoreless for the next three innings until the top of the seventh when Griffin hit an RBI single that scored freshman catcher/utility Michael Morgan from third. In the bottom of the eighth, College of Charleston scored off a passed ball and sacrifice bunt to tie the game at two. In the bottom of the ninth, an errant throw by JMU allowed the College of Charleston to walk off the Dukes once again and win the game 3-2.

JMU falls to 15-15 on the season and 2-7 in CAA play. The Dukes will be back in action at Veterans Memorial Park on Tuesday at 6 p.m. against the University of Maryland.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.