Fox Semones

JMU baseball looks to get back in the win column when it faces Delaware during a weekend series.

JMU baseball fell 9-2 to Fairfield (5-11) after the Dukes (15-7) allowed seven runs between the sixth and eighth innings. JMU head coach Marlin Ikenberry’s team managed seven hits but couldn’t keep pace with the Stags on the scoreboard despite topping Fairfield 4-2 on Tuesday.

Fairfield got on the board in the sixth inning when freshman infielder Justin Guerrera tripled down the left field line and extended their lead when senior infielder Jack Gethings flied out to center field, which to bring Guerrera home. The Stags added four runs in the eighth inning and two runs for insurance in the ninth.

"I have to give Fairfield credit, they were able to put runs up and extend the lead when they needed to,” Ikenberry said to JMU Athletics. “I thought the guys out of the pen did a good job limiting their totals, they were just able to add small amounts to put us away late.”

Sophomore pitcher Justin Showalter (1-1) allowed three runs on four hits in a 6.2-inning outing. Junior pitcher/infielder Fox Semones led JMU with two hits but struck out swinging in the ninth after the Dukes posted two runs in the bottom of the frame. Freshman infielder Kyle Novak singled to score a pair of runs, but it would prove to be not enough for the Dukes.

JMU stranded 12 runners compared to five for Fairfield as senior pitcher Peter Horn improved to 2-1 after allowing one hit in one inning. The Dukes open CAA play at home against Delaware (4-15) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.