JMU baseball

JMU baseball looks to get back on track against Delaware on Saturday.

JMU baseball lost 5-1 to the College of Charleston on Friday and fell to 18-13 (2-5 CAA). The Dukes have now dropped five straight games, four of them being against CAA teams.

Looking to bounce back from last weekend's sweep against Elon, JMU came home wanting to get back on track. Junior pitcher Kevin Kelly took the mound for the Dukes looking to avoid personally falling to .500 on the season with a 4-4 record. Unfortunately for Kelly and the rest of the ball club, Charleston’s offense came out to play early in the game.

The Cougars came into Eagle Field with hot bats early, scoring four of their five runs in the game’s first three innings. Senior designated hitter Chaz Davey was the first to get the Cougars on the board, hitting an RBI single to score home senior second baseman Dupree Hart. Their final run came in the seventh inning when Davey hit a solo home run – the only one of the night – helping the Cougars take a 5-0 lead over the Dukes.

JMU junior infielder Fox Semones hit an RBI double down the right-field line to bring home sophomore outfielder Conor Hartigan to get the game within four runs, but the Dukes’ offense fell short and the game ended with a 5-1 loss. Like it has in the team’s recent streak of games, JMU’s offense struggled. Over its five-game losing streak, JMU has been outscored 24-10 by its competition.

The Dukes are seventh of nine teams in the conference standings and look to improve with wins over the College of Charleston on Saturday and Sunday. JMU takes on the Cougars Saturday at 4 p.m. at Eagle Field at Veteran’s Memorial Park. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.