JMU cheerleaders (copy)

The JMU cheerleading team will be under a new coaching staff for the 2019 school year.

JMU Athletics announced Thursday that Tony Morris will become the next head coach of JMU’s cheerleading program. Morris takes over for former head coach Amanda Hoppert, who resigned in April.

“I feel so lucky to have been selected for this position,” Morris told JMU Athletics. “I have heard how amazing the JMU Athletics family is, and now I get to be a part of it. I have the opportunity to work with a talented group of student-athletes that will help make JMU Athletics events an unforgettable experience. Working for JMU will not only be a job, but an adventure that lets me do what I love.”

Morris’ coaching career spans over 20 years at the high school and college level. He won three state championships with Perry High School in Perry, Georgia. Before coming to JMU, he coached at Upper Iowa University for five years and served as the head coach and spirit coordinator for Tabor College from 2012-14. Morris won the 2014 Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Coach of the Year.

“Tony Morris brings a wealth of experience and fresh perspective to our cheerleading program at James Madison University,” JMU Athletics Director Jeff Bourne told JMU Athletics. “He has achieved at both the gameday and competitive aspects of a cheer program, and, above all, has done so by exhibiting true care for his student-athletes and their collegiate experience.” 

Last season, JMU finished second in the All-Girl Game Day Division and competed in the Small Coed Division 1 group in the UCA College Nationals, where it finished in 10th place. With Morris at the helm, JMU will look to return to Nationals this season.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.