Men's Soccer

Freshman Peik Koskinen edges out a defender while competing for the ball. 

It took 86 minutes, but redshirt sophomore Carson Jeffris’ late goal gave JMU men’s soccer (10-3-2, 6-1-0 CAA) a 1-0 win over Penn State on Saturday to propel the Dukes to 10 wins for the first time since 2014.

It was a frustrating night for JMU as it dominated the stat sheet but struggled to find the back of the net for most of the game. The Nittany Lions registered only one shot, while the Dukes had 17, with seven of them on target.

With his game-winner, Jeffris tied the team lead with five goals on the season. Senior forward Aaron Ward-Baptiste registered his third assist of the season and leads the team in points with 13.

“Getting shutouts is a sign of a good team and we have been stressing defensive organization all year,” head coach Paul Zazenski told JMU Athletics. “It was nice to grab a goal late to hold on for another win. This is a great group of guys and I'm happy they were rewarded."

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper TJ Bush earned his fourth consecutive shutout — his ninth of the season. Bush is two shutouts away from tying the JMU single-season record set by Alan Meyer in 1972.

JMU has one more non-conference match left on the schedule set for Tuesday, when it’ll welcome in-state foe Longwood. Kickoff is 7 p.m. at Sentara Park.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.