Swim and Dive

Three freshmen and one sophomore received the academic honor by the College Swimming & Diving Coaches Association of America.

The College Swimming & Diving Coaches Association of America announced Thursday that JMU freshmen Emily Gross, Faith Anderson, Sarah Stim and sophomore Bonnie Zhang were tabbed as honorable mentions for the organization’s Scholar All-America team.

Picked from a pool of 1,137 swimmers and divers, the four Dukes qualified for the recognition after earning a GPA of 3.50 or higher and achieving a “B” time standard at an NCAA Regional or Zone Diving qualifier.

Gross, the 2018 CAA Rookie Diver of the Year, achieved a score of 266.70 to qualify for NCAA Zone Diving against Richmond and earned a spot on the Dean’s List in the fall semester of 2017. Anderson had two performances last season that qualified — one against CAA foe Northeastern, scoring a 267.98 on the 1-meter dive, and the other being a score of 269.60 during the JMU Diving Invitational — and was a member of the President’s List in 2017 with a 4.0 GPA.

Stim qualified thrice last season as a diver while landing on the President’s List in the fall of 2017. Her best performance of the season came during the JMU Diving Invitational, where she scored 263.45 on the 1-meter dive and a 285.20 on the 3-meter dive. Stim went on to finish ninth in the 1-meter dive at the CAA Championships with a score of 266.95.

The lone sophomore and swimmer to earn the accolade, Zhang qualified all of her three NCAA Zone times in the CAA Championships in February — a career best 22.96 seconds in the 50 freestyle, a time of 49.72 in the 100 freestyle and a time of 1:47.90 in the 200 freestyle. Zhang was a member of the President’s List in the fall with a 4.0 GPA and earned the JMU Athletics Director Scholar-Athlete Award.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more swim and dive coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.