Ish Hyman

Redshirt senior wide receiver Ishmael Hyman runs across the field during the second half of JMU's 34-14 win over ECU.

Former JMU wide receiver Ishmael Hyman signed a contract with the Cleveland Browns on Thursday. Hyman played for the Orlando Apollos of the Alliance of American Football before the league ceased activity in early April.

Hyman announced the signing on his Twitter account by posting a picture of him signing the contract. He’ll join a star-studded wide receiver corps that boasts Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry.

With the Apollos, Hyman played in five contests. In total, he had four receptions for 60 yards and no touchdowns. He was targeted eight times total.

Hyman was undrafted out of college, leading him to take the opportunity in the AAF. As a Duke, he was a member of the 2016 National Championship winning team and finished his college career with 1,061 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Before arriving in Harrisonburg, Hyman was a three-star prospect from Manalapan, New Jersey. He committed and spent the 2013 season at Kansas University but was redshirted to retain eligibility. Hyman transferred to JMU following that season and retained four years of eligibility.

Hyman played alongside former JMU defensive lineman Andrew Ankrah while in Orlando. Ankrah signed with the Washington Redskins earlier this month after a successful stint with the Apollos.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.