Andrew Ankrah hits QB (copy)

Andrew Ankrah became a fixture on the defensive front during his time with the Dukes.

Former JMU defensive lineman Andrew Ankrah signed with the Washington Redskins on Monday. Ankrah was a member of the Alliance of American Football’s Orlando Apollos before the league suspended activity last week.

During his time with the Apollos, Ankrah was led by former Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier and racked up 14 tackles, three sacks and one forced fumble. He played with former JMU teammate and wide receiver Ishmael Hyman, who had four receptions for 60 yards in the AAF.

Ankrah, who transitioned from defensive lineman to linebacker, went undrafted in the 2018 NFL Draft before receiving a rookie minicamp invite with the Tennessee Titans. After not making the team, he was picked up by the Apollos in late January.

“I really expected to sign with an [NFL] team,” Ankrah said to the Daily News-Record. “And it just didn’t happen to go my way, and I don’t know what happens behind the scenes when the draft goes on, but it was kind of a shock and surprise to me, so at that point I switched my mindset and said, ‘Any opportunity that comes my way, I’ll take it and run with it.’”

As a Duke, Ankrah boasted 97 tackles, 26 sacks, eight forced fumbles and one touchdown. He also helped the program win its second national championship in 2016.  

In 2017, Ankrah was named the FCS Athletic Directors Association Defensive Player of the Year, as well as CAA Defensive Player of the Year. He was also a consensus FCS First Team All-American.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.