jmuarrivesfrisco12.JPG

Dimitri Holloway laughs while responding to a question from a reporter.

The Ottawa REDBLACKS of the Canadian Football League announced the signing of former JMU linebacker Dimitri Holloway on Tuesday. This is Holloway’s first professional deal since completing his illustrious career with the Dukes. 

The Newport News, Virginia, native arrived in Harrisonburg in 2015, where he played in every game in his freshman campaign. The following year, Holloway started nine games, including a performance that saw him tally 16 total tackles in the 2016 FCS Playoffs semifinal against North Dakota State. 

His junior season was cut short following a season-ending injury, but received a medical redshirt to give him an extra year of eligibility. In 2018, Holloway started every game, accumulating 127 total tackles — 11 for loss — and two forced fumbles. This earned him a spot on the Second Team All-CAA and was a VaSID First Team All-State selection. 

Holloway’s senior season at JMU saw him solidify himself as one of the nation’s premier linebackers. Appearing in all 16 contests and starting in 15, he garnered 124 total tackles, recovered three fumbles and had five pass breakups. 

Following the Dukes’ national championship appearing season, he was named Associated Press Second Team All-American, HERO Sports Second Team All-American and First Team All-CAA. 

The 2021 CFL regular season is set to begin June 10, 2021. The REDBLACKS first game is June 11, 2021, against the Montreal Alouettes. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.