A couple weeks after accepting a job to become the defensive coordinator at Florida International, former JMU head football coach Everett Withers is expected to be the next defensive backs coach for the NFL’s New York Giants.

Withers, who replaces Lou Anarumo after he joined the Cincinnati Bengals as their new defensive coordinator, was most recently the head coach at Texas State. Compiling a 7-28 record in four seasons, Withers was fired right before the end of the 2018 college football season.

While manning James Madison football, Withers managed an 18-7 record with a 12-4 in-conference record. The Dukes were co-conference champions in his final season, and he managed to take them to FCS playoffs in both of his seasons.

Withers ran the offense while at JMU, but his 2015 defense ranked second in the country in turnover margin (+1.08) and 13th in sacks per game (2.85). He also coached up former JMU safety and current Buffalo Bills defensive back Dean Marlowe, who was the last JMU player to participate in the East-West Shrine Game until cornerback Jimmy Moreland did so this past winter.

Prior to joining JMU, Withers had served the role as interim head coach in 2011 at North Carolina, filling in after head coach Butch Davis was dismissed amid several violations.

This won’t be Withers first taste of the NFL, as the Charlotte, North Carolina, native spent six seasons as the defensive backs coach for the Tennessee Titans (2001-06) and was also a defensive quality control coach for the New Orleans Saints in 1994.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.