Kulbacki.jpg

Former JMU baseball right fielder Kellen Kulbacki (2005-07) was nominated for ESPN’s Greatest All-Time College Baseball Team. Kulbacki was a member of the team from 2005-07. Among Kulbacki were names like Texas’ Kyle Russell and Baylor’s Mickey Sullivan.

Kulbacki was an immediate standout for JMU baseball, earning honors in the CAA and NCAA all three years as a member of the team. He was drafted his junior year by the San Diego Padres in a supplemental first round, making him the third highest draft pick ever in JMU baseball program history.

ESPN’s Greatest All-Time College Baseball Team is set through a fan-based voter system, which began June 24. Fans can visit the website and choose their picks for the team, and information on winners will be released at a later date.

Kulbacki was the number one hitter on the team during his time at JMU, with 51 home runs, a .755 slugging percentage, .501 on-base percentage and a .400 batting average. In 2006, he led all Division I athletes for home runs at 24, and set the JMU and CAA single season home run record now shared with fellow Duke Jake Lowery, who now is a member of the Washington Nationals.

"I was overwhelmed with gratitude when I read I was named by ESPN as one of the eight all-time best right fielders in college baseball history," Kulbacki said to JMU Athletics. "To be mentioned with some of baseball's all-time greats in this type of atmosphere is very humbling."

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.