jmuvsunh36 (copy)

Jawon Hamilton leads all rushers with 137 yards in the first half.

JMU football has 30 minutes left in the regular season, and it’s only two quarters away from completing a perfect season in FCS play. The Dukes currently lead Rhode Island 31-0. The JMU rush attack has helped lead the way for the Dukes with 220 yards in the opening frame.

The good: the “bend, don’t break mentality” 

It’s another week and another game where the Dukes show that it’s nearly impossible to crack their defense deep in their own territory. 

Rhode Island strung together two drives that saw the Rams closing in on the JMU end zone. The first one had Rhody turn the ball over on downs, and the second had senior safety Adam Smith come up with yet another interception — his sixth of the season. 

Following the turnover, the Dukes drove the field behind a career-long 72-yard run from redshirt junior running back Jawon Hamilton. Redshirt senior wide receiver Riley Stapleton completed the drive with a 3-yard touchdown catch to give the Dukes a 10-0 lead after redshirt junior kicker Ethan Ratke hit the extra point.  

The bad: Rhode Island’s defense

It may not even be that the Rams’ defense is bad, it may just be that JMU’s offense is that good. The Dukes saw three different offensive players score touchdowns in the first half as they continued to rack up yards against Rhode Island. 

Along with Stapleton, junior running back Percy Agyei-Obese and Hamilton both added touchdowns to the board. Redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci was perfect during the opening 30 minutes of the game, throwing for 59 yards, a touchdown off five throws and five completions. 

Redshirt junior wide receiver Jake Brown led all JMU receivers in the first half with 27 yards off only one reception. Stapleton had the most receptions for the Dukes with two. 

The ugly: Rhode Island special teams

He’s done it before, and he did it again today. Redshirt junior returner D’Angelo Amos took a punt all the way to the end zone for a JMU touchdown, showing why he was selected as the CAA Preseason Special Teams Player of the Year.

After the defense forced the Rhode Island offense off the field, the Rams punted it right to Amos, who returned it for 85-yards for the score. Amos finished the first half with two punt returns for 90 yards. 

Amos’ touchdown was his first one of the season after recording three last season. 

Contact Catie Harper at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.