jmuvssb1

Ron'Dell Carter and Dimitri Holloway celebrate after defeating Stony Brook in overtime. 

On Tuesday, JMU football saw two athletes named players of the year. Redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci earned CAA Offensive Player of the Year, and redshirt senior defensive lineman Ron’Dell Carter was tabbed as the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year. 

DiNucci is the first JMU player to win the award since former quarterback Bryan Schor won it in 2016. The Pitt transfer has a completion percentage of 70.3% and has accumulated 2,552 yards and 22 touchdowns through the air while also earning 426 rushing yards and four running touchdowns. 

Carter boasts 22.5 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 10 quarterback hits and a forced fumble, leading him to be a Buck Buchanan Award finalist. He’s also been involved in 53 total tackles — the third-highest mark for the Dukes. It’s the third consecutive season JMU has had the CAA’s top defensive player. 

Seventeen Dukes earned All-CAA honors on top of Carter and DiNucci’s achievements. Junior running back Percy Agyei-Obese, junior offensive lineman Liam Fornadel and senior offensive lineman Mac Patrick were voted to the CAA First Team Offense alongside DiNucci. Redshirt junior kicker Ethan Ratke and redshirt junior safety D’Angelo Amos were also named to the list for their performances on special teams. 

Carter and senior defensive lineman John Daka were picked to the CAA First Team Defense. Amos, redshirt senior linebacker Dimitri Holloway and senior safety Adam Smith also saw their names on the team. 

Seven other players were named either second or third team All-CAA. The Dukes host the winner of Monmouth and Holy Cross on Dec. 7 in the second round of the 2019 FCS Playoffs, with kickoff is set for 1 p.m. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.