jmuvsmonmouth43

The Dukes line up in front of the audience for the alma mater.

The FCS saw its second round of the 2019 playoffs Saturday as the quarterfinals matchups were set. Five of the eight top seeds survived, with one of the upsets involving JMU football’s upcoming opponent. The Dukes are also the only CAA team remaining in this year’s postseason. 

JMU 66, Monmouth 21

For the first quarter and a few minutes, Monmouth gave No. 2-seeded JMU a scare. With just under 12 minutes to play in the first half, it was tied at 21. Then, redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci scored on a 6-yard run that opened the scoring for the Dukes. 

JMU hung 623 total yards, went 9-for-13 on third down, had two quarterbacks throw touchdowns and had five scores on the ground in a 66-21 rout of the Hawks. The Dukes are now 12-1 (8-0 CAA).

Northern Iowa 13, South Dakota State 10

The host Jackrabbits raced out to an early 10-0 lead but didn’t score in the final three quarters, allowing Northern Iowa to mount a comeback. Freshman kicker Matthew Cook hit an 18-yard field goal with 2:10 left in the game to complete the upset for the Panthers, who have won two games in the playoffs now. 

North Dakota State 37, Nicholls 13

Midway through the third quarter, No. 1 North Dakota State had a slim 14-13 lead. Then, Bison redshirt freshman quarterback Trey Lance took over and put 169 yards through the air and tossed two touchdowns. He also ran for 88 yards and a score in a dominant second half that put the defending national champions in the quarterfinals. 

Montana State 47, Albany 21

The Great Danes took a 7-0 lead over a minute into the game, but the Montana State responded with a statement blowout. The Bobcats went up 47-7 before Albany added two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to cut the deficit to 26. Sophomore quarterback Tucker Rovig tossed 279 yards and three touchdowns to earn the Bobcats’ 10th win of the season. 

Illinois State 24, Central Arkansas 14

A 21-point second quarter helped the visiting Redbirds take down No. 8-seeded Central Arkansas, but it was thanks to senior running back James Robinson. Robinson ran for 210 yards on 37 carries, finding the end zone twice. Illinois State’s win means the Missouri Valley Football Conference has two teams remaining in this year’s playoffs, making it tied for the most along with the Big Sky. 

Weber State 26, Kennesaw State 20

Junior quarterback Jake Constantine led a third-quarter rally that saw Weber State overcome a 17-9 deficit to win 26-20. Constantine, who started his collegiate career at Boise State, threw for 234 yards, a touchdown and one interception. The Wildcats now look to make the semifinals for the first time in program history. 

Montana 73, Southeast Louisiana 28

The Grizzlies began their playoff journey by setting numerous records against Southeast Louisiana. Redshirt junior wide receiver Somori Toure had 303 receiving yards, breaking the single-game FCS record previously held by former Marshall wide receiver and Super Bowl champion Randy Moss. Sophomore running back Marcus Knight set the Montana single-season record for rushing touchdowns at 23 and total touchdowns with 25. 

Austin Peay 42, Sacramento State 28

Late Saturday night saw one more upset occur. This time, it was Austin Peay which took down No. 4 Sacramento State. Senior quarterback Javaughn Craig passed for 204 yards and two touchdowns, while also adding 164 yards on the ground and a rushing touchdown.

Contact Noah Ziegler at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.