JMU vs Drexel

JMU senior Elena Romesburg fights for possession.

The JMU lacrosse team triumphed over Delaware and Drexel in a convincing manner this past weekend, outscoring their opponents by double digits in each game. Senior midfielder and CAA Player of the Week, Elena Romesburg contributed to the wins immensely.

The Chalfont, Pennsylvania, native collected eight goals on 10 shots, three draw controls, three caused turnovers and three ground balls to open CAA play for the Dukes. Romesburg’s eight goals helped her achieve her 100-career goal benchmark, while also reaching her 40th goal in the first twelve games this season, surpassing her record of single-season goals of 36 she obtained last year.

This is the second CAA Player of the Week honor Romesburg has earned this year — the first being on Feb. 20 — two days after the Dukes beat the UConn 21-9. Against UConn, Romesburg scored five goals on six shots, two draw controls, two caused turnovers and two ground balls to help her team prevail.
Romesburg ranks second in the CAA in goals with 3.33 per game, fourth in points (3.50), seventh in ground balls (2.42) and is tied in eighth with 1.5 caused turnovers per game. Romesburg’s impressive goals per game average helped the Dukes rank No. 8 in Division I scoring offenses with 15.75 points per game.

Her honor racked up the 10th CAA weekly award this season for the Dukes. Now the wait is on to see if JMU will continue their three-game win streak as JMU and Romesburg stay in the state. This upcoming weekend the Dukes travel to play William and Mary on Friday at 5 p.m. before heading to North Carolina to face Elon on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more lacrosse coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.