Haley Crawford

JMU junior Haley Crawford crosses the ball to her teammate during their first goal attempt at the CAA Finals.

JMU women’s soccer couldn’t overcome first-half defensive issues in a 6-3 loss to No. 23 Washington State on Sunday. The Dukes dropped to 1-3 on the season, and their second straight game.

The first goal for the Cougars came less than 30 seconds into the contest. They put six total past senior goalkeeper Hannah McShea in the first half. JMU scored once in the first half, courtesy of senior forward Haley Crawford in the 33rd minute. 

In the second half, McShea was replaced in goal by freshman Alexandra Blom. Blom did well in her first collegiate game, not allowing a goal and saving one shot. 

The Dukes made the game interesting in the second half. A penalty kick goal by sophomore midfielder/defender Iris Rabot in the 55th minute and a goal by junior midfielder/forward Ebony Wiseman in the 59th cut Washington State’s lead down to three, but that was as close as JMU would get to the Cougars.

JMU was outshot 22 to 10 by the Cougars, and the six goals were the most allowed by the Dukes in one contest in nearly nine years — dating back to 2010 when JMU fell to Princeton 6-3.

The Dukes went 0-2 on their road trip in the Pacific Northwest, which started with a 3-2 overtime loss to Seattle on Thursday. Next, they head east and play at Saint Joseph’s on Thursday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.