Fox Semones

JMU baseball sophomore infielder Fox Semones rounds third base during the Dukes game against Elon.

JMU baseball lost 7-1 to the William & Mary Tribe on Friday at Plumeri Park in Williamsburg, Virginia. The Dukes have now lost nine games in a row, seven of which have been against CAA competition.

Looking to avoid falling below .500 for the season was junior pitcher Kevin Kelly (4-5). Kelly’s ERA has risen steadily over the past few games from 1.78 to a season-high 3.86.

Although William & Mary had the side retired in the first inning, it came back strong in the second. Following a run scored off a balk and an RBI triple delivered from freshman outfielder Jack Cone, the Tribe took a two-run lead to begin the second. The bottom of the inning finished with one more run scored off a sacrifice bunt from sophomore infielder Matt McDermott to give William & Mary a 3-0 lead.

The game remained scoreless for another four innings until the bottom of the sixth inning. With one out, McDermott blasted an RBI triple into left-center field that scored home three more runs before he ultimately scored off an error by JMU junior infielder Fox Semones. The Tribe took a 7-0 lead with three innings to go in the game and never gave the lead up.

JMU scored their only run of the ballgame in the top of the ninth inning off an RBI double by junior designated hitter Harry Brown to score home freshman infielder Kyle Novak. By then, the lead was insurmountable and the Dukes fell again in a game that featured underwhelming offense.

The Dukes now stand at 18-17 (2-8 CAA). Their next game will be Saturday against William & Mary at 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.