US-NEWS-HEALTHCARE-DRUGPRICING-DMT

People won't know how to deal with strenuous situations in the future if they rely on drugs to do the hard part for them now.

With finals here, students will do anything to get good grades. Although there are healthier ways, such as waking up earlier than normal, going to the quiet section of the library and forming study groups, some students look to illegal study supplements. Though college students abuse "supplements" like Adderall and Ritalin, these drugs won't help them in their future careers.

Drugs like Adderall and Ritalin are prescribed to people who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Yet, college students who don’t have this disorder use these drugs to study. The Controlled Substance Act made adderall a Scheduled II controlled substance, meaning, it has a high chance of being abused and people are at risk of becoming dependent on it.

Although these drugs make students concentrate or give them a little more energy, they don’t change the quality of the student’s work. Instead, they are simply helping with the quantity of it. This may give the illusion that the drug is helping them and make them want to use it again in the future.

College is preparation for a full-time career. Students take what they have learned at JMU and apply it to their everyday jobs — but students shouldn’t take this unhealthy study habit with them. If students can’t do work for long periods of time without a stimulant, they won’t be able to do work in their career. Becoming dependent on these drugs in order to do well poses a serious threat to their future careers.

Drugs may seem like the only option when students are extremely stressed during finals, but life is stressful. There are going to be times when one is exhausted and run down but still has tasks to complete. In the real world, these drugs won’t be an option. People who depended on the drugs in college will have to find other ways to focus and get the work done. But, they would already know these ways if they had developed proper study habits in college.

College students often abuse drugs in a social environment, but when it comes to educational purposes, it’s a completely different story. These irresponsible choices set students up to fail in their careers. Not only are they going to struggle with completing all their stressful work on their own, but  getting caught abusing these drugs will have serious consequences. If an employer believes an employee is abusing drugs, they’re able to do a drug test. If an employee is found using drugs that aren’t prescribed to them, they could be at risk of being fired or even turned into the police.

Students need to keep in mind that college is a path to a career. No matter what major or level of difficulty, there’s no excuse for abusing illicit drugs. Those selling the drugs they’re prescribed are taking advantage of the system. They’re lucky enough to be able to afford and access medication, yet they’re selling it to people who don’t need to be taking them. These types of behaviors are not acceptable in the real world, and bad habits shouldn’t be started in college.

Megan Klepper is a junior, writing, rhetoric and technical communication major. Contact Megan at kleppemc@dukes.jmu.edu.