WORLD-NEWS-ROYALS-BABY-2-ABA

Despite some of the negative feedback she’s recieved, Meghan Markle is good for Prince Harry.

When the Royal Family goes in public, they’re put together and picture-perfect. The women have beautiful hair and makeup, and the men wear tailored suits. Even the children are dressed in proper clothing since they are born. Members of the family behave elegantly and properly, even in casual settings such as a family vacation. Although this paints a  picture that the royals choose to do this, there are plenty of rules that keep this picture intact. Strange rules such as them not being allowed to have public displays of affection, not being allowed to eat shellfish and having a specific way to drink tea are just some of the enforced ways of living the heirs must live by. 

However, the newest addition to the family, Meghan Markle, is challenging these rules. Simply dating Prince Harry made Markle a difference in the royal family. Not only is she American, but 

her engagement to Prince Harry was revolutionary, and their current relationship challenges the royal family’s rules. For example, the two are not afraid to show one another affection. Normally, royals aren’t able to show any type of PDA, but Prince Harry and Meghan don’t let that stop them.

The Royal Family has had irrational rules for years. Prince Harry was only 12 years old when he had to walk behind the coffin at Princess Diana’s funeral. It’s been revealed that the young boys were told not to cry, according to Express. Thousands of people attended the funeral, while millions watched at home, and the children of the deceased had to hold their heads high as if they didn’t just lose their mother. In an exclusive interview with Newsweek in 2017, Prince Harry admitted to being scarred from that experience and blames most of his years spent partying on the loss of his mother. Partying and socializing seems to be a rational response for someone who hadn’t processed the death of his mother at a young age.

Recently, Prince Harry and Meghan have announced that they’ll be stepping down as senior members of the Royal Family. They decided to begin splitting their time between the UK and the US. Although they’ll be leaving, the couple is going to remain in full support of the Queen. The step down will allow Markle to avoid similar scrutiny from the tabloids that Princess Diana was subjected to, as well as allowing the couple and their son to become financially independent. Both have mentioned supporting a new charity. This will help the couple begin their own life and journey as well as setting up their son, Archie, with an independent life of his own. 

Although these changes seem extreme, they’re also necessary. Since Markle has already brought new changes into the Royal Family, it’s not surprising that the couple made this decision. Markle may be used to the spotlight due to her stardom, but it’s a different type of fame when one is a Royal. The duties of a Prince and Duchess can be overwhelming, and the job never seems to be done. The two are making decisions for what’s best for them and their son — something that might shock fans of the Royal Family. Fans may picture the family as a happy, loving and perfect unit, but no one truly knows what goes on behind closed doors and the pressure that’s put upon the members. 

When one thinks of the Royals, one shouldn’t be thinking of perfection but rather intellect and independence. Meghan Markle brings a new flair to the royals that is a great role model for young women. Although Kate is also a great role model, she isn’t as personable and revolutionary as Markle. Markle is a new type of icon that should inspire the Royal Family and its followers.  

Megan Klepper is a senior, writing, rhetoric and technical communication major. Contact Megan at kleppemc@dukes.jmu.edu.