FOOD-HDY-VALENTINESDAY-COOKIE-PG

Valentine's day can easily be made enjoyable for people not in relationships.

Although this international celebration of love can be a rough 24 hours for many, there are a number of fantastic reasons to reacquaint oneself with the holiday. One should look no further for a reason to change outlooks on this mushy salute to love because The Breeze has compiled five reasons to participate in Valentine’s Day cheer.

1. Fifty percent off candies and toys galore

Even if one doesn't love the holiday itself, there are numerous sweet reasons to support it, including the day-after sales on chocolates, candy and cute stationery. Usually, stores stock up on candy, stuffed animals and stationery weeks in advance and eagerly try to empty the shelves of it, but there are only so many customers celebrating the occasion. Luckily, for everyone else, Feb. 15 means all the pricey desserts and toys people have had their eyes on for the past month will be highly discounted, namely at grocery stores and pharmacies such as Walgreens and Safeway. Some might even buy these items in bulk in order to surprise friends or to curate a collection of future birthday gifts. 

1. Alternate ways of celebrating

Valentine’s Day isn’t solely for couples to celebrate their time together. Capitalist culture has emphasized this aspect, according to exepose.com, so more goods can be sold bynormalizing the purchasing of rom-com tickets, date night reservations and jewelry, but in reality, Valentine’s Day is intended to celebrate loving relationships between friends and family as well. The now-popular “Galentine’s Day” is a great way to let the girls in one’s life know the importance of their friendship. Another fun tradition is to celebrate with family by making a big breakfast or even just playing fun games at home. Any way of cherishing the loving relationship that has been formed and recognizing its importance to daily life is a great way to spend the day.

1. Spoiling loved ones

Everybody loves receiving gifts from the heart. Most have probably, at one point, recited the phrase, “It’s the thought that counts,” and it really is, especially on Valentine’s Day. There’s no better excuse than this holiday to spoil loved ones with hand-picked gifts that remind them of the tender moments. A few fun ideas include gifting siblings stuffed animals, giving parents hand-made cards and gifting friends items that remind each other of inside jokes or fun times shared together. Gifts never have to be expensive, and on this day, the more thoughtful the gift, the more value it’ll probably have to the recipient. 

1. There are fun activities for everyone

Valentine’s Day activities aren’t just fun for those in relationships. Themed foods, drinks and venues make for cute pictures and great memories with friends and family. Unsurprisingly, many singles go out on Valentine’s Day looking for their own special someone. So, if one is ready to mingle or just enjoy a fun night on the town, there’s no reason to not put oneself out there. Those not up for seeing cringey couples around town can try hosting a movie marathon, having a spa night or hosting a singles only dinner party. All of these activities are bound to draw the interest of friends and family and will never get old.

1. You can be extra without fearing judgement

Feb. 14 is one of the few days of the year where being extra isn’t judged. It’s the perfect excuse to “shoot your shot” with a crush or wear a new, cute outfit. There are few limitations to how extra, cheesy or outright bold one can be on this special day. One should also remember to take this day to promote self-love. Self-love is critical and should be a priority in everybody’s lives, but on this day, we are reminded of how beautiful love can be in all its forms.

If one is still uncertain about the merits of Valentine’s Day, it’s always nice to be reminded of how much one is loved. So, even if this holiday isn’t one that’s chosen to be celebrated, just reminding those that one cares about of their importance can make somebody’s day in a matter of seconds.

Liz Riccio is a freshman media arts and design major. Contact Liz at riccioem@dukes.jmu.edu.