Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 4.36.31 PM.png

One of the police officers who shot Breonna Taylor was indicted, but not because he killed her.

After the terrible way Breonna Taylor was killed, followed by months of protests against police brutality, everyone deserves some good news.

For months, social media users have rallied for justice for Taylor, reminding one another that the police officers who killed her had yet to be arrested.

On Tuesday, an announcement was made that a decision regarding the matter was forthcoming. In Louisville, city officials closed down more than a 25-block perimeter to traffic as the city was placed under a state of emergency, according to Courier Journal.

But the announcement made on Wednesday afternoon wasn’t exactly a good one.

It’s true that Brett Hankison, one of the three officers present in Taylor’s home March 13, was indicted, but not for killing Taylor. He was charged with three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment for Taylor’s neighbors, a charge that carries a penalty of one to five years in prison.

The other two officers weren’t indicted at all. None of the officers were punished for Taylor’s death.

So many Black Americans have been killed senselessly. Having the officers who killed Taylor arrested would’ve felt like a victory to those that have begged for justice and marching for their voices to be heard.

These officers getting off nearly scot-free feels like just another blow, another straw on the already-broken camel’s back.

Police officers need to face consequences for their actions. Black voices need to be amplified and heard, especially by those in positions in power. The longer these issues continue without change, the harder they’ll be to overcome.

The protesters who gathered at the Jefferson Square Park as the announcement was made said it best: “No justice, no peace.” 

Jillian Carey is a junior media arts and design major. Contact Jillian at breezeopinion@gmail.com.