I happen to agree with "The New York Times" when they warned Nancy Pelosi not to give too much power to the newly-elected House Democrats who call themselves "Democratic Socialists." They’ll be the minority of the Democrats in the House of Representatives.

I don't enjoy being unkind or insulting toward anyone, even the Republicans in Congress — a sizeable minority of whom are really scary, "survival-of-the-fittest" Social Darwinists. But to me, you have to be a total moron to call yourself a "Democratic Socialist," and that includes Bernie Sanders who I like a lot and agree with 90 percent of the time.

First of all, they’re not true socialists because they don’t advocate abolishing our capitalist economic system.

Second of all, if you really believe that anyone can be elected president of the United States who calls herself/himself a "socialist," then you must live in dreamland and must have drunk the Kool-Aid.

Third of all, where I do agree with them is in their belief that our federal government should do more to help the poor, the near-poor, the lower-middle-class and the middle-class who are struggling to survive and to pay their bills.

They need to inform and educate the public to the fact that almost every single one of our traditional allies — if not all of them — have federal governments that do more and spend more (in proportion to their population sizes) than we do in the U.S.

Stewart B. Epstein is a retired college professor of sociology and social work from West Virginia University and Slippery Rock University. Contact Stewart at phenom51@mail.com.