In today’s America, the #MeToo movement has shot into the tropes of suppressing survivors — splattering methods of censorship, victim blaming and inaction towards predators onto the walls of history. Men are nervous; the standard by which they benefit — the abuse of power and use of deceit — has cracked, and is on its way to shattering.

In today’s colleges, while activism exists, the end goals of “progressive” fighters for human decency and concern are still not being met. However, that doesn’t mean work has gone undone; offices for Title IX have made camp at most universities in America and more programs are developing to encourage bystander intervention.

In today’s JMU, such programs for bystanders are taking form, as Green Dot begins its work with numerous organizations, students and faculty. We see the student government encouraging changes to the JMU handbook (i.e. changing use of character statements until after a student is found responsible), limiting the privileges given to abusers to escape justice.

But in today’s JMU, we still see pain. We still see people being taken advantage of and not given the climate to speak out. Organizations hide behind notions of “having their hands tied” to justify maintaining abusers in their ranks. But one can hope that someday people will have the courage to defy the status quo — the very thing happening on the national level. Soon, the real leaders in society will be those sticking their necks out, risking retribution to do what is right.

Vince Albanese is a junior intelligence analysis major. Contact Vince at albanemv@dukes.jmu.edu.