Streamers

JMU fans have been throwing streamers at sporting events for around 40 years.

On Monday, Toyota Stadium released a statement on Twitter concerning the use of streamers at the upcoming FCS National Championship game on Jan. 6.

No. 1 JMU (14-0) and No. 2 North Dakota State (13-1) will be squaring off in what would’ve been the most highly anticipated game in the FCS this season even if a national championship trophy wasn’t on the line. Both programs are among the most popular in the FCS, leading each of their respective conferences in home attendance this year.

Throwing streamers has been a JMU tradition since the late 1970s, when fans would throw toilet paper onto the basketball court to celebrate the Dukes scoring their first basket. It’s as harmless a tradition as any, and The Breeze has filed a petition via Change.org to the NCAA asking for the rule to be changed.

Bridgeforth Stadium’s event staff has created a system for cleaning up the streamers that Toyota Stadium and the NCAA could model. Staff members stand at the edge of the turf with trash cans and collect the streamers when they’re thrown. Typically, this is when the Dukes score a touchdown or the game ends — times in which there are built-in timeouts that prevent the streamers from interrupting the flow of the game.

This tradition is held close to the hearts of JMU fans; some have even started a #NoStreamersNoConcessions hashtag on Twitter. The Breeze believes the sanctity of this tradition should be preserved, especially at the most important game of the year.

The Breeze’s Editorial Board represents the official stance of the paper on important issues such as this one. For more information, contact Editor-in-Chief Matt Weyrich at breezeeditor@gmail.com.