Beyonce performing

Beyonce performing

If there’s anyone who knows how to announce a pregnancy and simultaneously break the internet, it’s Beyoncé.

On Wednesday, Queen B announced via Instagram that she is blessing us with not one, but two new offspring, officially making her daughter, Blue Ivy Carter, the ultimate big sister. It only took 11 hours for the photo to become Instagram’s most liked, a record previously held by Selena Gomez with 6.4 million likes. Beyoncé’s grand total: 9.9 million, in addition to more than half a million tweets about the pregnancy in just 45 minutes.

Beyoncé’s godly photo featured the “Formation” singer in lingerie with a veil over her head, an array of flowers behind her and her hands gently placed on her stomach, channeling her inner Virgin Mary. Many saw her pink bra and blue underwear as a sign that the singer is having a boy and a girl.

The message that accompanied her glowing photo: “We would like to share our love and happiness. We have been blessed two times over. We are incredibly grateful that our family will be growing by two, and we thank you for your well wishes. - The Carters”

After the announcement quickly went viral, Bey’s fans began to look into clues that the singer may have given earlier in the year. In an Instagram from December, the pop star is seen holding up two fingers in one clip and holding an article of clothing over her stomach in another.

The day after her Instagram photo hit the internet waves, Beyoncé dropped an extensive pregnancy photo album on her site. The album, titled “I Have Three Hearts,” features shots from the pregnancy shoot, as well as older photos of her and her family.

Although a celebrity by nature, Bey stays far from the public eye. She leads a very private life and chooses to share only bits and pieces very carefully. The singer has laid low since her Formation World Tour ended in October, even after the announcement of her nine Grammy nominations and her gig headlining Coachella.

Speaking of Coachella, what does this mean for Beyoncé’s upcoming performances in April? While the singer gave no indication of how far along she is in her pregnancy, some speculate she is in her fourth or fifth month, which would put her at the end of her second trimester or the beginning of her third by the time the music festival rolls around. Carrying twins is already considered a high risk pregnancy, and although Queen B may seem unstoppable, putting on an assumingly elaborate performance in the middle of a hot desert with two people growing inside her body isn’t a good idea.

With all the breaking Bey news in the past week, the Beyhive is buzzing once again, as loud as ever. As Queen B continues to expand her kingdom, I will surely be on the edge of my seat watching every step of the way.

Yasmine Maggio is a senior writing, rhetoric and technical communication major. Contact Yasmine at maggioym@dukes.jmu.edu.