JMU's Student Government Association hosts winter gala

The event benefited The United Way and aimed to celebrate seniors in their final semester at JMU.

On Friday night, the senior class celebrated the past four years with music by DJ Crum, an assortment of finger foods and a photo booth with props at the first senior class winter gala. The senior class council of the Student Government Association wanted to try something new for the seniors to celebrate their time at JMU with the classic theme of purple and gold.

“I really wanted to go to a big dance before I graduated, so this was perfect,” Elizabeth Redford, a senior communication sciences and disorders major, said. “The food and music was great as well.”

Molly Reynolds, senior class vice president, helped organize the gala. SGA was expecting about 200 students to attend, but exceeded their estimate with 250 attendees.

“As a hospitality management major, my passion is event planning so it was really fun for me to do – just the pinnacle of my time here at JMU and my time in SGA,” Reynolds said.

Alex Jacobs, a senior biology major, attended the event because his friends asked him to come, but Jacobs ended up enjoying his time there. DJ Crum took song requests from the audience, getting many students in the mood to dance.

“The dance floor, good music and standing tables were great touches,” Jacobs said. “I didn’t have any expectations coming into tonight – I was told to dress up and show up and I am glad I did because I had a great time.”

Additionally, the photo booth with several props related to the class of 2018. From “#JMU2018 to “SENIORS,” students could reminisce on their time at JMU. The photo booth was definitely one of the main attractions, especially with the Duke Dog making an appearance.

There was no entrance fee, but there was a suggested donation of $5 for United Way. The organization works with its various offices throughout the country in a coalition of other charitable organizations to bring in donations and support.

KC Kristian, a senior international relations major and senior class president, thought the United Way suggested donation was well-reciprocated.

“I think United Way was a great cause to give to,” Kristian said. “The gala was a great way to give back to the senior class and hopefully pass the tradition to hand it down to the other classes to come.”

This is the first time SGA has hosted a gala for the upcoming graduating class. The junior class council was at the event to see how they can improve, change or keep the gala the same for next year.

“It was a time to mingle with fellow classmates and celebrate the time together at JMU – reminisce a little bit but get excited for what’s to come,” Reynolds said.

Contact Jackie Garcia at garci2ja@dukes.jmu.edu. For more coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, follow the news desk on Twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.