visiting scholars

This was the second group of scholars from China to visit Harrisonburg through the visiting scholars program. 

Three scholars from South-Central University for Nationalities visited Harrisonburg City Hall earlier this week to discuss how the local government in the U.S. operates, according to the city of Harrisonburg. These individuals are enrolled at JMU and are learning about alternative teaching and research methods.

Xiaojing Ma, Haie Li and Gang Li came to city hall with Virginia Cutchin, the co-coordinator of the visiting scholars program, which serves as a cultural and community liaison. This is the second group of scholars from China to visit Harrisonburg through this program.

Harrisonburg City Manager Eric Campbell made a presentation explaining his role and how he works closely with city council. During their meeting, the scholars compared their home city of Wuhan to Harrisonburg.

“It was a great experience for us to get to meet the team from South-Central University for Nationalities,” Michael Parks, the Harrisonburg director of communications, said. “They came here to learn about our culture and our form of government, but we learned just as much from them during our conversations. We are very excited for them to get to experience our community here in Harrisonburg.”