study

The changes are the result of a traffic study that investigated how to improve safety and congestion on Port Republic Road.

Starting Aug. 19, Port Republic Road will become safer for drivers, a news release said. Left turns will no longer be permitted on or off Port Republic from Crawford Avenue, Hillcrest Drive and Hunters Road during peak hours. 

Restricted hours will be Monday through Friday from 7-9 a.m. and 3-6:30 p.m. Restrictions won’t be implemented on weekends or holidays. Additional changes include adding signs and flashing lights to remind drivers of these changes. 

The city of Harrisonburg has found that left turns off Port Republic onto a neighborhood street have been a recurring cause of rear-end crashes. These changes are a result of a traffic study on Port Republic that analyzed safety and congestion improvements needed at several intersections from South Main Street to Devon Lane. 

“At the end of the day, we want to make sure drivers can safely move through this corridor to get where they are going,” Harrisonburg Director of Public Works Tom Hartman said. “And while these changes will take some getting used to, we know the end result will be a much-improved area for all who live in and pass through this area.”