Wilt

Tony Wilt (right) interacts with supporters at El Charro.

Friends, family and supporters of incumbent Delegate Tony Wilt (R) gathered at El Charro restaurant off S. Main Street beginning at approximately 7 p.m. Wilt greeted members of a nearly full restaurant as they awaited the results of the election. After Wilt’s position was once again secure, he said he looks forward to working on the I-81 bill, along with other ideas in the future.

The bustling crowd settled at 8 p.m. as results rushed in.

As the results came in, Wilt interacted with smaller groups of his supporters and took photos with those who attended the party.

After Wilt secured the victory, his supporters celebrated with their reelected delegate.

At approximately 8:45 p.m., Brent Finnegan (D) called to concede, at which time Wilt addressed the party as a whole for the first time.

Wilt thanked JMU and EMU College Republicans and Republican women for their support at the end of the night, thanking his wife, Vicky, most of all. He stated that he looked forward to working with Finnegan and “everyone” regarding the issues that are important to “everyone in the 26th and the state of Virginia.”

Wilt also thanked his supporters for rising up against the opposing party and stopping the “very liberal progressives” from taking the state and nation in a “different direction.” Wilt said he looks forward to “continuing to bring common sense legislation” to the state of Virginia.

“It keeps us the number one state to do business in, it keeps our families working, it continues to strengthen our schools...law enforcement, transportation — all of society’s success [relies] on good infrastructure,” Wilt said.

The campaign ended the night by stating that it’s looking forward to winning next year’s election as well.

Contact the news desk at breezenews@gmail.com. For move coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, follow the news desk on Twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.