Quad.jpg (copy for computer science staff report)

The state is expected to contribute $14 million to the computer science department over the next 20 years.

Virginia Governor Ralph Northam (D) announced Thursday that JMU will join the state’s Tech Talent Investment Program, which provides funding to increase degrees in computer science, computer engineering and other related fields. 

Through TTIP, JMU has agreed to produce an additional 467 computer science degrees in the next 20 years, and the state will invest more than $14 million into the computer science department. According to a news release from JMU, the department issues about 102 degrees each year, and this funding is expected to increase that number to 127 annually. 

The funds will go toward hiring additional faculty and renovations to the computer science facilities. 

The General Assembly created TTIP to meet employment demands once Amazon opens its Northern Virginia headquarters. Amazon’s $2.5 billion complex in Arlington is expected to create 25,000 full-time jobs. 

Other institutions also participating in TTIP are the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth University, William & Mary, Christopher Newport University, George Mason University, Radford University, Virginia State University, Norfolk State University and Old Dominion University. 

Contact the news desk at breezenews@gmail.com. For move coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, follow the news desk on twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.