COPY for pretrial staff report

The 26-year-old Harrisonburg native was charged with a felony hit-and-run in November and will appear in court for his trial on Aug. 29. 

Mashkhal Ibrahim, 27, appeared in court for the second time this month on Thursday ahead of his trial, which begins Aug. 29.

Ibrahim faces a felony charge of hit-and-run for an accident that occurred last August, which left JMU student Jared Antle in the hospital with a traumatic brain injury. Antle returned to his home in Williamsburg, Virginia, last month after receiving treatment at The Shepherd Center in Atlanta, according to a Facebook update from his family

In front of the Rockingham County Circuit Court, Ibrahim and his defense asked for funding to hire a cell phone expert to review data collected from the night of the accident. Ibrahim’s attorney, Aaron Cook, said the Commonwealth used a cell phone expert to help place Ibrahim at the crime scene. 

The defense’s motion stated that Ibrahim didn’t have the means to pay for an expert and wanted the state to help with the cost. The Commonwealth argued that the use of an expert wouldn’t be its main source of information because lab tests had been performed that also link Ibrahim to the scene. 

The court ruled in favor of the defense to provide funding for an expert witness to aide the defense in the trial next month. 

Ibrahim will next appear in a two-day jury trial beginning Aug. 29 at 9 a.m. in Rockingham County Circuit Court.

Contact the news desk at breezenews@gmail.com. For more coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, follow the news desk on Twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.