HPD

Four officers from Harrisonburg City and Rockingham County have been killed in the line of duty.

Communities across the nation will come together May 12-18 to honor and remember police officers who died in the line of duty. The city also intends to honor the four officers from Harrisonburg City and Rockingham County who have been killed on duty with services throughout the week.

This year, the 144 officers killed in 2018 will have their names added to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, D.C. Officers who died in previous years whose stories “had been lost to history” will also have their names added to the memorial.

The Harrisonburg Police Department will be at the Harrisonburg Farmers Market on May 11 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. to hand out blue light bulbs and window decals. Individuals are encouraged to use their blue light bulbs at night to show support for the police force. Downtown businesses are also encouraged to decorate storefronts with blue decorations.

A Flag Ceremony will also be held in front of the Public Safety Building May 14 at 9 a.m., which will immediately be followed by “Coffee with a Cop,” an event coordinated by the Salvation Army Harrisonburg Corps. Another “Coffee with a Cop” event will be held at the Starbucks inside the Target on East Market Street May 16 from 9-11 a.m.

Additionally, “Cone with a Cop” will be held May 14 from 3-5 p.m. and May 16 from 4-8 p.m. at Kline’s Dairy Bar on South Main Street. The week will close with a private annual Police Valor and Awards Banquet May 18.